Wednesday, July 23, 2014

My version of granola bars

Make my version of granola bars or your own version.  This template allows for us all to be granola happy.  Thanks Vegetarian on the Cheap!

So, my personal adjustments to this template is the following: 
3 C oats
½ c flaxseeds
½ c pumpkin seeds or sesame seeds, or ¼ c ea.
1 ½ tsp sea salt
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp cayenne pepper
¼ c raw honey
½ c peanut butter
¼ c brown sugar
¼ c  Splenda
2-3 tbsp water
1/3 cup good chocolate chips or chunks

I found that following her specific recipe above left me with too many dry toasty ingredients so, I added some optional tablespoons of water into the gooey part. 

Also, nuts seem to be more expensive than seeds so I use more seeds in mine.  But, I have used both chopped almonds and chopped walnuts.  Use anything you like.  That’s what make these so great, they’re uniquely yours!

I wanted to not use agave nectar because it’s not as good as raw honey.  Also I know some of y’all don’t use Splenda.  Surely it could be omitted and you could use stevia and just add a few drops at a time to taste. 

I have also used vanilla powder and almond extract.  You can really make an original batch every time if you want to.  In my opinion, if you are going to add chocolate chips, add good ones.  Don’t bother with low quality chocolate.  It is just gonna make you crave more chocolate, where just one chip of very good chocolate has more satisfaction. 

I have used dried fruit before, cranberries once and apricots another time.  But my favorite way is to make it a bit spicy with the cayenne pepper.  Then when I have everything mixed and press it onto my parchment covered sheet, I sprinkle the chocolate over the whole thing and take the bottom of the measuring cup and sort of press the chocolate chips into the mix.  Just don’t want them sitting on top. 

I also do not leave in the oven for 30 min.  For 20 at most.  When it starts to smell, I’d take them out. 

Thanks to Vegetarian on the Cheap for her blog and coming up with this!
Happy cooking,
Marie


No comments:

Post a Comment