Friday, July 4, 2014

Much better

My re-commitment to writing this blog was almost a month ago now.  It is remarkable how much better I am in just that short span of time.  My quality of life is improved in every way.  A description of what I could do today, within the confines of my home, of course, is this:  I walked freely, without caution and slowness, and without pain.  Mostly without a cane, as well.  I laughed and chatted easily and called a loved one who I don't speak to often enough.  I played frisbee outside with Oscar for about 10 minutes.  That may not seem like long but, trust me, it is.  It really is.  We watched a movie this afternoon and I felt fine afterward, not stiff or sore.  I did not get an afternoon headache, as is my norm of late.  I did not have to wear sunglasses inside or take meds to ward it off the pending migraine.  I prepared and cooked us dinner and cleaned up afterwards.  Also, the two of us gave Evy her sub-q fluids for the first time.

And none of those activities were hard for me or painful at all.  In fact, I have barely been able to stop singing all day.  Two songs are sort of "with" me right now.  The Rose by Bette Midler and To Make You Feel My Love by Garth Brooks.  And for the last 2 days, I cannot stop singing them.  In fact, I just had to get out of bed to come and write because I was keeping myself awake with the singing.  I feel sure that constant singing about love is the polar opposite of depression.  And it is just delicious.

We might go geocaching in the morning.  We'd both really like to.  I haven't be up to that activity since October, 8 months ago.  If we do go, we'll be careful not to keep me out long, and make sure to bring my cooling towel and plenty of water and food.  Also, I have searched for caches only within 5 miles of our home.  So, we will never be far from my napping spot if that becomes imminent.  It is nice, even if we don't go, to be able to realistically look forward to it.  That alone feels like accomplishment.  It isn't really accomplishment though, since I bear no responsibility for it except the care I take of myself.  It is really, just part of the package.  Some ups, some downs.  And now, finally and truly thankfully, for a few days, I feel up.

If anyone ever doubts how quickly life can change, they have only to chat with me during an up and then during a down.  Maybe then, hopefully, they will come to treasure the regularity of their boring day to day lives.  If only I could have some idea that tomorrow might be like today.  I do have some hope, but, not so much that I will feel sad if I crash.  I truly have enjoyed the past couple of days and maybe if I just keep singing, it will help relieve pain when it returns.  I don't think I have tried that as medicine yet.  If I have, I don't remember it.  I love to sing and I miss it.  I really do need to sleep now though.  Seriously.

Have happy happy nights
Take care of yourselves

No comments:

Post a Comment