Saturday, July 19, 2014

Food, what I can control

So, of all the stressors this world presents each of us, we can control very few.  We can control what we think, our actions, and what we put in our mouths, not much more.  Thoughts and behaviors of others is out.  Stimulation of all kinds like noise, light, movement, entertainment, advertisement, all out.  Weather, out.  Hormone release, out.  For all of those that are outside our control, we can only work with them and hope they do dance steps that we know.  But, food, there is the difference.  No one else has any control over what I pick up and put in my own mouth.  So during this well-time, this is my self-improvement issue.

I have recently read Fiber Menace by Konstantin Monastyrsky.   Next, I will read Wheat Belly by William Davis, M.D., which my genius big brother recommended last year sometime and I never did get to it.  So, I am armed with some new information, to say the very least.

Also, the fermenting is working wonders in my gut already.  I am officially one of the finalists for "Prettiest Gut in Texas, 2014".  And it is so easy.  I have eliminated about a quarter of the pills I take in the mornings because of fermenting alone.  Now, I am just learning, remember that, so some things don't taste good or even anywhere in the area of good but, I am eating and drinking them all.  And I reach out to a Fermenters group on FB for advice whenever I have questions.  This is the cheapest and easiest thing to do for solving a gut imbalance and I sooooooo wish I had known about it years ago.

I am not under any allusions that this is the fix for me and the condition I have.  But, again, this chips away at my symptoms and believe me, balancing my gut is a ginormous chip.  Like, Everest, big.  Maybe Saturn.

While it's true that I have changed my diet, say 4 separate times and in 4 different ways over the course of my journey, each time was helpful, even if to prove that the change was not helpful.  So far, these changes are helpful also.  I am eating very few servings of grain.  Like one a day.  Also, I am eating about 3 servings daily of food or milk that I fermented.  And, I am drinking less water.  The 8 glasses a day rule got thrown out with the bathwater and now I drink when I am thirsty.  That's all.  So, those are my changes thus far.

For breakfast this morning I made pancakes.  Recipe:  Mash 2 bananas and whip in 2 whole eggs.  (Add cinnamon or nutmeg if you like at this point).  Heat the pan to med/ med-high.  Fry pancakes as you usually would.  DO NOT EXPECT THEM TO TASTE LIKE PANCAKES.  They do not.  But, top them with some butter, not margarine, some real maple syrup or fruit, nothing fake, and eat them slowly, chewing well,  while knowing you are at least controlling what you are eating and that you've done nothing guilt inducing.  You controlled your pancakes.  I washed it down with about 1/4 glass of OJ and 1/4 glass water mixed.  Then had 1/2 glass whole milk kefir with some cinnamon and stevia.  Yes, it does sound weird. And, no, I don't know what I'll do when I'm traveling.  But, for now, my gut is so pretty.  Beauty pageant pretty.



No comments:

Post a Comment