Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Knew I shouldn't have gotten out of bed.

Yesterday, my migraine grew to such horrendous proportions that when I woke up this morning, I could still feel it in my head.  I have been "caring" for it all day.  I had to really pep talk myself into getting out of bed at all.  Here is how I can best describe it.

When I went to bed last night, it felt like maybe a refrigerator, a large deluxe one, not a dorm sized deal, was in the space where my head used to be and that it was really angry, since in my description, appliances have feelings.  I went to bed at about 7:30 pm with all my normal pills and my migraine pills in me.  Slept through the night only waking a couple of times.  At  7 am, woke with a normally shaped head again.  Deep in the center of the skull was an almond.  I could feel it and it wasn't angry yet, just annoyed.  So, you see, I knew I shouldn't have gotten out of bed.  I should have just let the almond have its way and stayed in the dark and cozy, cool cave of my room, keeping her appeased.  I didn't.  I haven't spent very many hours up, though.  I have spent almost all of my day in my dark guest room, lying on the couch, with a cold towel on my head and face.  And so she grew.  By keeping 2 sets of sunglasses on inside and by keeping my activity level very low, which for me is really just being still, I managed to keep her from getting beyond dishwasher sized.  I had been taking my medicine every day for a few days and I am aware how careful I need to be with that.  Frequent medication use can cause rebound headaches and you don't really know when you cross into that area.  So I was determined to just sit this one out and not medicate it.  Took Valium at night to help me pass out.  And, of course, she was still with me when I woke the next morning.  She was baseball sized and had the attitude and smarty-pants of a spoiled 7-year-old.  Again, with the sunglasses for me and the no medicine.  I was telling my friend about my new brain roommate and that I thought this might be one of those ones that would just stay with me until I went to the ER for whatever pain shot they give for migraines.  She told me to take one of my super duper pain pills (hydrocodone) now (at noon), while it was still smallish and eat, and go straight back to bed.  I did that and it killed her!!!  YIPPEE!  I woke up at 3:30 pm and couldn't feel it anymore.  Had an entire afternoon and evening without a headache.  It is back this morning but not only maybe almond-sized again.  It feels asleep, not annoyed or angry yet.  So, we'll see how I do in controlling her today.  My physical pain is far greater today so, I'm hoping for that to be a trade-off.  Much rather body pain than head pain.


No comments:

Post a Comment