Sunday, June 29, 2014

Who loves fermenting??

So, I am a newbie at fermented foods.  I am determined to keep my gut functioning correctly and well without taking handfuls of pills to do so.  I cultured these veggies this week:
And I just made this milk kefir:
milk kefir 2nd ferment
carrots, sauerkraut (2 kinds), cucumbers, red peppers, beets


Ok, so the first ferment of the milk kefir was beautiful and did not separate the way the second one did in the above pic.  But, I just made cheese out of the second one and am making watermelon soda out of the whey (the bottom liquid).  The first one was my morning smoothie.  


Sometimes, I have been guilty of the attitude that I am stagnant.  That is understandable when symptoms are bad.  Also, since I can't drive myself anywhere, it is easy to feel like I am not living as much as others, not learning, not growing.  But, this proves otherwise does it not?  I have just learned and taught myself to preserve food with ALL the possible probiotics in them.  And, by the way, beets are wonderful.  They are my favorites of all the ones I cultured.  Right now, I am making watermelon rind pickles.  They will be ready in 2 more days.  I had no idea that the rind was the most nutritious part of the watermelon.  Imagine we used to throw away such valuable stuff.  UUUGGHHH!  So.  I am not stagnant.  I do learn and I do grow.  And I do enjoy my life tremendously.  I do this in the face of a dance partner I did not choose.  

Thanking God today for this very needed and treasured calm of the storm and hoping that it lasts long enough for me to build up whats necessary to survive the next storm successfully.  

Have happy, happy days!


No comments:

Post a Comment