Thursday, December 6, 2012

The Second Blog - pre-bedtime

In sharing how I cope, I want to write about things I have stumbled upon or learned which will be helpful to someone else.  I don't really see the need to write about the stuff that was not helpful or worse, self-destructive.  Let's suffice to say that I tried my fair share of those kinds too.  I may ramble with anecdotes at some points but, I will strive for brevity since energy and time is so, so precious.

Therapy works.  I have a psychologist who shares the faith in God I have and it is very beneficial to my treatment with her.  Also, she is not warm and fuzzy.  She holds up a metaphorical mirror and forces me to see who I am and how I am behaving.  I have friends who would run screaming from her because they need to be soothed in therapy.  I don't benefit from that.  Sure, it feels good and I have had a soothing therapist before.  But, one who challenges me has helped me come farther quicker and reach a true stability that can be trusted.  I have grown to a good height with her.  She helps me in strengthening my faith and my self-confidence. 

It is hard to be a good friend to someone I don't have much in common with anymore.  And unfortunatley, upon getting fibro, life changed so dramatically and so rapidly that I wasn't left with many friends.  The blessing is this.  I turned to my parents, who I loved and who have been my rock during many times of my life.  As a result, I befriended them.  I developed a friendship with both of them that I'm not sure any of my other siblings have.  I don't know if they would say the same, but I only need to evaluate the friendship from my end, since that's the end affecting me.  What it is to them is for them to think on.  I have learned truly to let go of caring what is going on in anybody else's head. 

Food has been such a comfort in my life.  I, like most female Americans, have downed half a bag of Dove chocolates or a pint of Ben and Jerry's during times of crisis or depression.  My generation learned to sit in front of our TVs with a bag of something crunchy.  Decades of how I habitually ate had to change.  I am not fat, but I was still hurting myself.  Unknowingly.   For me, the change had to be made.  I was having a migraine headache almost daily at that time for several months in a row.  I stumbled upon a book and a theory about food triggers.  I embraced it fully.  Today is two full months later and I follow the rules very carefully.  I have not felt better since before 3/13/05. 

So there are my Faith, friends, food blurbs for today.  I'm on less medicine than I've ever been on.  I have more true friends than I've had before.   I'm more vocal on my spirituality than I have ever been.  I used to think of my relationship with the Lord as a special private, personal thing.  Now, I see that it is also something glorious to share with others.  I pray and read my Bible more than I have ever before.  I devote time to it.  It improves my life to be reminded how much I am cherished. 

Happy, happy evenings all. 



2 comments:

  1. Marie, it's wonderful that you are blogging on Fibro, I'm so happy to see the Therapist is helping, and you are learning natural ways to cope using food. Less meds are always a plus. I love natural remedies also and only have as needed meds. I look forward to reading more of your blogs when I have time. Thank you for sharing with us. Pat DeWitt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Pat!!
      I'm so glad you like it and I really hope you spread the word to others "of our kind" lol. I'm not even telling friends and family yet about my project. I just really want to speak to those folks who are trying to figure it out, like we all are, and hopefully some little iota of info can help. Since you are very active on the FB Fibro page, please mention it to someone if you think it would benefit them.
      I hope you are feeling painless and blessed this Christmas!!
      love,
      M

      Delete