Thursday, August 4, 2016

New analogy for fog

This week, I've got another metaphor, or maybe an analogy.  My primary doctor said it to me during my physical.  She was describing my dense breast tissue, and how screening mammograms are useless against it.  She said it was like searching for a single white balloon in a white cloud.  It was such a good analogy for me to understand why I had to have that extra ultrasound.  But, it also is an excellent analogy for fibro fog.  For any who have never had a foggy moment, here is what it is like.  My vocabulary, not entirely but almost all of it, especially all of the nouns, are captured in a white balloon.  As I wander through the cloud of fog, I search for the word I need to communicate in the world.  The word is in the white balloon, in the white fog.  I cannot find it.  The effort to even find it isn't worth the actual having it.  This is why words get made up.  Words get substituted.  I sound dumb.  But, I thought this analogy was vivid and appropriately depicted what it feels like to have the words necessary become hidden and unavailable to me.  And it conveys why I sometimes say things that are actually not words at all, or things that don't entirely make sense.

Hopefully, this will help somebody better understand their fog, or their loved one's fog.  Grateful that the balloon search in my chest did not warrant further action.  Have happy, happy days.

No comments:

Post a Comment