Thursday, February 19, 2015

A Beautiful Day For A Dog Walk

I went for a walk today.  With the dog.  Just me and the dog.  I understand that doesn't sound like much of an accomplishment but, it is one to me.  I'm proud.  I think it has been a year since I've done that.  I've experienced changes in my limitations that I've adapted to and but being alone anywhere in the world with said limitations is cause for acute awareness.  It is a beautiful day.  Maybe in the 50s or high 60s.  Clear blue sky.  Gorgeous.  A bit of breeze.  I miss being out in the sunshine.  I have missed walking Oscar but, he can still be tuggy and the instability was not a combo I was willing to take on.  So, this morning I became fed up with the overload of dog energy in the backyard in the form of barking that I just threw up my hands and said, ok, we're going.  I used his martingale collar which helps him with tugging but, I also put his backpack on him which we haven't used since he was 1, back in 2012.  I hoped, and it happened this way, that the unusual feeling of the backpack would be more puzzling to him than the confidence he'd have to pull away to smell things.  I started out from the house with 1 lb. in each side of the pack.  He really wouldn't abide that.  We got just a few houses away and I realized I would do more coaxing than walking so, we went back and I took the cans of beans out, leaving the backpack empty.  Upon this action, he was willing to walk.  Also, we walked in the street, which I usually don't do either.  If we are on the sidewalk, he tugs to smell things.  I know the pulling is a result of poor training but, that's where I'm at.

So, in gratitude for the courage to push my body and trust myself and my preparation, and for the peaceful quiet now that O is asleep, feeling fatigued but better than upon waking.

Have happy days!

No comments:

Post a Comment