Friday, January 11, 2013

New Year Progress

Went to a consult with a new GYN yesterday.  Upon walking in the offices, I smelled the air freshener.  It was a Scentsy.  Historically, this would have caused an almost instant migraine, chased me out of the building and probably cancelled the appt and searched for a new doc.  Yesterday, I was able to really observe my progress in symptom control.  Not only did I wait for the appt, the exam room I went to is the one that the Scentsy was in.  The smell was so strong.  Naturally I had a headache.  But not a migraine yet.  I was able to converse with my new doc, btw, one of the best I've ever seen, and then wait another 45 min in the lobby again for my bus to come.  Of course, I was wearing my sunglasses and nibbling on my foods to try and keep symptoms under some semblance of control.   At home, the smell was deep in my clothes, in my hair, and on my skin.  It was intense.  Previously, this would probably have led me to vomit and then bed with unimaginable pain.  But yesterday, I was able to stay awake and enjoy some time with my family.  Yes, I had to change and bathe, and wash my hair and use sunglasses and cold packs on my head all evening.  But, I still got to be with them.  A heart so full of gratitude.  I am going to call the doc offices and suggest they tone down the smell somehow.  After feeling so long like I have been robbed of so much, it is fantastic to now see that my embracing a hard change empowered me to be able to get some of my time back. 

Remember that wherever you are in your journey, later, you will have moved to a different place.  I see now that coping is not as hard for me as I remember it being in the past.  I am better at it.  More practice. 


No comments:

Post a Comment