Tuesday, November 19, 2019

And she ran....

Well not really running, running.  Not like trying to save myself from a bear.  Just three mini-steps above speed walking, but, still firmly in the jogging category.   

It happened this morning, completely spontaneously.  I didn't work towards it.  It wasn't a goal.  I just listened to my body speak, and it said "let's run, let's play".  So I did.  I had both dogs and I broke into my run so often and for so long that my little dog got worn out.  She's got short Corgi legs.    And it was thrilling.     Ab.So.Lutely. Thrilling.

Three years ago in November,  I'd frequently walk my dogs from my wheelchair, clipping their leashes to the chair.  We'd pretend they were sled dogs, lol.  I'd sing Jingle Bells at the top of my lungs and make up dog-related lyrics.  Two years ago in November, I couldn't even leave my bedroom because of the multi-month migraine that struck.   Last year, I walked a half-marathon.  This year, I ran.  And, it's not over.  There's still 11 days left for all the fabulousness. 

It's been a lovely fall.  I am back to volunteering weekly at Children's Health as a pal for any patient who is alone.  Last Thursday was all babies.   I have begun volunteering on behalf of animals now, as well.  Twice a week I dedicate time to their cause.  Monday nights, I help the Trap-Neuter-Release program in my town by going out to feral colonies and setting traps and helping take the kitties in to be sterilized the next morning.  On Friday mornings, I assist the photographer at the shelter, interacting with dogs who need to be photographed.  I usually stay at the shelter for another hour or more after pictures are done, walking dogs, and socializing with cats.  Some Saturdays I go back and spend another hour of so with them.   I'm enjoying it and feeling that I really am helping those creatures on the days I'm there. 

I was inducted into an order at my church last week.  To be included after so long involuntarily excluded, there are few words to express the depth of that value.   To be known, after being so isolated and unknown, a gift. 

I'm taking greater care of my emotional health.  Really making firm boundaries about what I allow in my world.  This only causes me to be healthier and feel better.  There is no negative to emotional self-care.  Some would argue this point.  Boundaries can be built for many reasons, but generally not amidst poor physical and/or mental health.  Now that I'm not suffering and struggling daily, I can, and have chosen to take care of myself.  Of my heart.

It is a joy to be able to report such a life here.  I have long ended my posts with gratitude.  The thing I'm most thankful for today is my faith.  Faith in the Lord, the He will see me through.  That some way, some how, He will provide.  And faith that He hears my prayers for each of the many very helpless and vulnerable lives I visit every week, human and animal.  And faith that prayers for me are heard.  And faith to be free from worry and fret.  To be free to know that I will do what I can, and the rest, I will pray about.  And that is enough. 

Have Happy Days!

No comments:

Post a Comment